June 8, 2013

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton : Book Review


Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
Rating: 2/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads)
First there are nightmares.
Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.
Then come the memories.When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.
Now she must hunt.
Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.
Review: I was a little skeptical to read this book because I've read very mixed reviews for this book. As I was reading, I started to like this book less and less. I found the language to be too modern. The main character kept making references to things such as Batman and cars such as a Mercedes. At one point, the main character described a Reaper ( a monster that she must fight) being as big as a Chevrolet Tahoe. This annoyed me so much throughout the book. Actual writing aside, the main character (Ellie) was so poorly developed. Her and her friends only enjoyed shopping, fancy cars and calling each other obscene names.This was annoying because suddenly by the end of the book I'm supposed to believe that Ellie now wants to help in the Second War between God and Lucifer. I also found Ellie to be quite stupid (for lack of a better word). At the beginning of the book it is quite clear that one of her friends, Landon, has a crush on her but she doesn't realize this until 100 pages into the book whensomeone has to tell her. And by the end of the book, the beginning plot points (such as Landon's crush on Ellie) have no meaning. By now, you are probably wondering why I didn't just give this book one star. As much as I hate to admit it, this book did have some good things going for it. I really enjoyed the love interest of this book, Will. Even though the main character is quite annoying, the actual main plot of the book is not that bad. If the main character was a little better developed I think I would have actually enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!