June 18, 2013

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey: Book Review

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)
Rating: 3/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads):
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up


Review: I was so excited to read this book because I've read really great reviews for it and really awful reviews for it. After reading the book, I find myself in the middle of all these mixed reviews. I neither liked nor disliked this book. It was an average novel. However, after doing a like/dislike chart I realized I hated the book more than I liked it but my rating will stay the same. Surprisingly, I actually liked the main character. Cassie for Cassiopeia was a 16 year old girl travelling on her own and trying to save her brother from the Others (the name of the aliens btw). I've read my fair share of stupid MCs (main characters) but Cassie was not one of them. Even when things turned out too well for her (no spoilers), she was still very suspicious which in my point of view makes her not so dumb. I also liked the plot behind the alien attack. It was quite interesting and had the mystery that I was hoping for. Now let's get to things I did not like- this may take a while. Firstly, the book was way too cliche. For example,
" I didn't save you, [..] you saved me."
"Irony?There is no irony anymore. Or maybe there's just so much of it that you can't call it irony."
"together the three of us watch the golden sun break over the horizon, obliterating the dark in a burst of golden light"
If you can't tell why those quotes are cliche then we clearly don't see eye-to-eye. Furthermore, the important plot points were so predictable to me. I will refer to this again and again but I have a sixth sense when it comes to predicting plot points and this book was no different (sadly, I can't give you evidence of this predictability without giving away important plot points). In addition, the point of view was very jumbled. The book is divided into 10+ sections and each section is a different point of view. With 90+ chapters, most chapters start of with a third person P.O.V while generally the P.O.V is in first person. It's very annoying to say the least. The book was also very very long. I felt like the plot was being too stretched out and the reader knows way too much compared to the main characters which made me feel very annoyed while waiting for the main character to figure it out. Moreover, the ending was quite predictable and it left not a very great cliffhanger. The ending did not make me want to read the sequel and so now I am unsure of whether or not to wait around for the sequel. Finally, this book feels like its trying to be too many genres (assuming books can be anything). The book was a mix between sci-fi, dystopia, romance and post-apocalypse, not a very pretty combo. Overall, this book was average. The main character was nice and the sci-fi elements were pretty nice. However, the book was too cliche, predictable and the point of view was jumbled. Also, it was very long, the ending was disappointing and the book tried to combine too many genres. If you don't agree with my cliche examples then you probably will enjoy this book so don't let my review discourage you.
*added spontaneous comment: I completely forgot to mention the love interest and I now realize why I did not completely hate this book. The love interest is awesome and he struggles to find his humanity. I don't know about you but I love those types of love interests. Oh and did I mention he's bad-ass, just sayin'.
*and yes I do realize my review contradicts itself a little

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!