June 27, 2013

The Line by Teri Hall: Book Review

The Line (The Line, #1)
Rating: 3/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): An invisible, uncrossable physical barrier encloses the United States. The Line is the part of the border that lopped off part of the country, dooming the inhabitants to an unknown fate when the enemy used a banned weapon. It's said that bizarre creatures and superhumans live on the other side, in Away. Nobody except tough old Ms. Moore would ever live next to the Line.

Nobody but Rachel and her mother, who went to live there after Rachel's dad died in the last war. It's a safe, quiet life. Until Rachel finds a mysterious recorded message that can only have come from Away. The voice is asking for help.

Who sent the message? Why is her mother so protective? And to what lengths is Rachel willing to go in order to do what she thinks is right?
Review: My feelings toward this book are somewhat mixed but I am leaning towards the side of disappointment. This book is one that I was looking forward to reading for quite a while. I was however, a little disappointed. As mentioned in the summary, there is a physical barrier that encloses the United States but I do have some confusion about it. The Line (as they call it) is not described in a lot of detail. Is it a force field or just a tall invisible wall? Is it like a dome that covers the whole country or is it just a really tall wall? I had so many questions about the wall that were not answered. I also had a lot of other questions surrounding other elements of the book that were not answered. How did certain objects play a role in the book? So many questions like these that were not even addressed. Furthermore, like many other reviewers, I thought that the novel was too short. It would be great as half a book or maybe even 2/3rds of a book. Also, I felt that there was no real plot development except near the end. The summary mentions a recorded message that Rachel finds which leads to a whole other mystery but Rachel did not find that device until the middle of the book. Sadly, the first half of the book was quite boring but the second half picked up nicely. Even though the second half of the book was more interesting, it wasn't really thrilling or exciting. Another thing I disliked is the big plot point at the very end of the book (don't want to ruin what it is). This plot point was supposed to be a surprise I presume but it was hardly one since the entire novel main characters hinted at it. I found that quite annoying because I was just basically waiting for it to happen. All that aside, I did like the point of view and writing style. It took some getting used to but once I did, the writing was well done. Overall, this book was all right but it lacked a thrill and it was too short. I am not sure whether I will read the sequel or not but if I do, I hope that the sequel proves to be far more promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!