July 27, 2013

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick: Book Review

Ashes (Ashes Trilogy #1)
Genre: Post-apocalypse
Publication Date: August 28th 2012
Rating: 3/5 stars
Source: Library
Summary (via goodreads):  It could happen tomorrow . . .

An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

Author Ilsa J. Bick crafts a terrifying and thrilling novel about a world that could be ours at any moment, where those left standing must learn what it means not just to survive, but to live amidst the devastation.
Review: I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I have read my fair share of post-apocalypse books and I was hoping that this book would wow me, sadly that was not the case. The overall plot of this story was pretty typical. Something bad happens, everyone dies or turns into zombies and a girl gets stuck all by herself with an 8 year old girl. To me, that sounds pretty typical-nothing unique about it (again, I have read a lot of post-apocalyptic books). Then she meets an attractive ex-solider (wow, I wonder what will happen?!!????). Really, all quite typical. The story basically gets more predictable after that. I think the only unique element about this book is that the main character (Alex) has a brain tumour and we get to see her experiences (it was interesting). Now, let's talk about the romance. The romance in this book makes me want to roll my eyes everytime I even think about it. It's the end of the world and girl meets a cute boy, what do we think will happen? And then when said boy is no longer in the picture for a reason that can't be said without spoilers, she meets another cute boy and forgets all about previous cute boy. Very very annoying. The upside to this book is that the actual apocalypse (the electromagnetic pulses and stuff) seem realistic, like that might actually happen, everything else is not. The ending of this book was bland and created a bunch of new questions that don't provoke me enough to want to read the sequel. Throughout this book, I really wanted to abandon it. Ashes was not very  interesting for me but I still read all 465 pages. Overall, this book is fairly disappointing but the apocalypse in the book seems realistic. I will not be reading the sequel (unless I stumble onto it in the library and decide to be adventurous). To sum it all up, this is me after reading this book:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!