July 18, 2013

Born of Illusion by Teri Brown: Book Review

Born Of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
Rating: 4/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): Anna Van Housen Has A Secret.

A gifted illusionist, Anna assists her mother, the renowned medium Marguerite Van Housen, in her stage show and seances, easily navigating the underground world of magicians and mentalists in 1920s New York. As the illegitimate daughter of Harry Houdini - or so Marguerite claims - sleight-of-hand illusions have never been much of a challenge for Anna. The real trick is keeping her true gifts secret from her opportunistic mother. Because while Marguerite's own powers may be a sham, Anna actually can sense people's feelings and foretell the future.

But as Anna's powers intensify, she experiences frightening visions that lead her to explore the abilities she's tried so long to hide. And when an enigmatic young man named Cole moves into the flat downstairs, introducing Anna to a society that studies people with gifts like hers, she begins to wonder if there's more to life than keeping secrets.

From Teri Brown comes a world bursting with magic, with romance, with the temptations of Jazz Age New York - and the story of a girl about to become the mistress of her own destiny.
Review: I bought this book only because I've heard how amazing it is. I feel pleased to join all the people who claim this book is truly magical (pun intended). The plot of this book is quite interesting. I won't really summarize the plot for you because the summary of the book does a pretty good job. The plot (however interesting) was still predictable. I was in no way shocked at any point in the book and I pretty much figured out all the plot twists on my own prior to their revealing. Although the plot is predictable, it was still engaging enough for me to keep reading. I found the stage elements and all the parts with Anna performing a show particularity interesting. Now let's talk about the characters. I actually liked the main character,Anna. Although she can sometimes fail to see the obvious, nothing else makes me hate her. Cole, who may or may not be the love interest, is also really interesting. I can't really tell you about him without ruining the book so we'll leave it at that. The characters in Born of Illusion were well-written and interesting. I also enjoyed the 1920s feel of the book (though it is when the book takes place). It was nice to see all sorts of accurate historical elements such as the end of World War I, prohibition and Harry Houdini. Overall, this book is definitely a must read and I can't wait to read the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!