July 1, 2013

Elemental by Antony John: Book Review

Elemental (Elemental, #1)
Rating: 3/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads):A lost colony is reborn in this heart-pounding fantasy adventure set in the near future . . .

Sixteen-year-old Thomas has always been an outsider. The first child born without the power of an Element—earth, water, wind or fire—he has little to offer his tiny, remote Outer Banks colony. Or so the Guardians would have him believe.

In the wake of an unforeseen storm, desperate pirates kidnap the Guardians, intent on claiming the island as their own. Caught between the plague-ridden mainland and the advancing pirates, Thomas and his friends fight for survival in the battered remains of a mysterious abandoned settlement. But the secrets they unearth will turn Thomas’ world upside-down, and bring to light not only a treacherous past but also a future more dangerous than he can possibly imagine.
Review: I haven’t really heard a lot about this book so when I started and finished reading it, I wasn't disappointed or overly pleased. I feel quite neutral about this book which is really strange for me. Let’s start with things I didn't like (bad news first). I didn't like the romance. At all. It was really weird to say the least. At the very beginning of the book the main character (Thomas) likes one girl who is clearly repulsed by his lack of elemental control. Then when Thomas learns that another girl likes him, he starts to like her too but he also still likes the other girl and I got really confused. I wasn't even sure what was happening. The romance part of the book also looked as if it appeared out of nowhere. It’s as if the author just decided that he should add romance and he just added it into the book. This book also had no major plot twists. The book was a little predictable. Not predictable enough that I could guess exactly what would happen but predictable enough that I wasn't shocked when certain events occurred. Now onto things I enjoyed. I really liked one of the main characters, Griffin. He was awesome, that’s all I should say. In terms of the writing, I really liked the setting of the story. It was interesting to see how the author brought all the elements to life. I also enjoyed the writing style itself. Overall, this book was neither terrible nor amazing. I would recommend it to anyone who loves anything that has to do with the natural elements.  I’m not sure whether to read the sequel but I most likely won’t. The ending of this book was not a very big cliff hanger and I wasn't really eager to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!