July 30, 2013

Piece of Mind by Rob Reger and Jessica Gruner: Book Review

Piece of Mind (Emily the Strange Novels, #4)
Illustrated by: Buzz Parker and Rob Reger
Series: Emily Strange Novels #4 (not really a series, more like a collection)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Graphic Novels
Publication Date: February 1st 2012 by Harper
Rating: 4/5 stars
Emily the Strange stands for: Do it yourself; think for yourself; be yourself.
In the concluding volume of the story arc that has defined this singular 13-year-old, Emily’s uniquely odd to-do list includes:
1. Lose (and regain) mind
2. Reprogram golem
3. Locate secret book vault
4. Commune with Dead Dark Aunts
5. Rescue Cousin Jakey
6. Redecorate souvenir kiosk
7. Thwart Thought Thief
8. Endure hero worship
9. Grant ancestral enemy’s deepest wish
10. Save cat-napped kitty
11. Summon black rock
12. Defeat Shady Uncles
13. Guard family legacy and claim inheritance!
Lavishly illustrated with trademark black-and-red art, this delightfully quirky story follows Emily on her journey to uncover her family’s mysterious secrets—secrets that are ancient, surprising, and Strange! (via goodreads)
Review: I haven't read all the other Emily Strange novels *gasp* (in my defense, the books are more like a collection of stories and everything gets explained either way so I was not missing out) but I will definitely be reading them soon. Piece of Mind was a great light read. It doesn't take long to read this book but it is very entertaining. The writing style was immature but it was very appropriate considering the book is a 13 year old girls diary. The same thing goes for the speech patterns. I also found the illustrations to be very interesting (which is why I included the illustrators in my review). I loved all the illustrations and how they fit the story. I wish I could scan some of the pages just to show off the illustrations but I wouldn't want to give away any spoilers. I found this book to be very entertaining. I was laughing and severely enjoying myself while reading this book. I will definitely be reading the first Emily Strange books.
Overall- Nice read and very entertaining
- Illustrations  really compliment
- I want to read the other Emily Strange books!
- Immature writing style but appropriate for age group

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!