July 20, 2013

Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien: Book Review

Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
*this book is the sequel to Birthmarked
Rating: 4/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime. In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole?
Review: I wasn't really sure what to expect. Birthmark ended quite tragically but I was curious to read what would happen next in the Birthmarked trilogy. This book surprised me but not altogether in a pleasant way. Despite its pleasantness, I did not enjoy every aspect of the book. Firstly, the book was kind of typical, I was never shocked or surprised by any of the plot points (only really pissed off at some events but that can't be explained without spoilers). As the summary suggests, there is indeed a love triangle but it is a very bad one. Basically, the main character must choose between two brothers or a guy she used to/still has feeling for. It was all very frustrating, I wanted to jump into the story and punch some of the characters in the face. Despite all the book frustration, this book was still enjoyable. Prized was interesting and it had a nice ending. I also enjoyed reading about one of said love interests and the ending really worked out in my favour. All the questions I had were answered at some point in the story (which is amazing-I hate unanswered questions). Overall, this book interesting and it is definitely worth a read if you have already read Birthmarked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!