July 15, 2013

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins: Book Review

School Spirits
Rating: 4/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?

Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the New York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!

Review: Being a Hex Hall fan and considering this book is a spin-off of that series, I was dying to read this book (lame attempt at ghost humour-sorry). Anyway, this book was amazing. Seriously, if you’ve never read the Hex Hall series or this book, you are missing out. Now that I’m done my little rant, let’s get to the review. First, let’s discuss plot. The plot of this book was quite interesting. Monster hunter must go on a very covert mission, capturing a ghost that haunts a high school. As cheesy as the plot is, it was interesting to read. Izzy (or Isolde) has to master the art of being a normal teenager. I don’t know about you, but that sounds pretty awesome if I say so myself. I also liked the romance in this book. Although I did want to hurl my book across the room at the ending (no spoilers), the romance was so cute. I had to restrain myself from smiling and/or squealing like Romy in the book. I will admit that the book was a little cliché and predictable (hence only 4 stars) but this book was interesting. I definitely will read the sequel-no doubt about it. Overall, this book is a little cliché but it is so interesting, you get over it. Seriously, read this book or the Hex Hall series. Rachel Hawkins is an amazing author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!