July 14, 2013

Splintered by A.G. Howard: Book Review

Splintered (Splintered, #1)
Rating: 4/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now. When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.
Review: As the summary mentions, this book is heavily influenced by Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. I have never read Alice in Wonderland (tsk tsk, I know) so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I am quite lucky that the book explains everything otherwise I would be as clueless as Alyssa in the beginning of the book. I am so glad I picked up this book in the library, it is truly amazing. I really enjoyed reading this book. The beginning was a little slow but it soon picked up. Even though love triangles make me want to hurl books across the room, this book earned an exception. The love triangle in this book was well-written but it made me as confused as Alyssa. Alyssa is basically forced to choose between her childhood friend in Wonderland and one of her best friends from the mortal realm (very tough decision indeed). While reading this book, I was struggling to decide who to root for (I choose sides very easily-it was strange). Do I root for the mysterious stranger or for the loveable friend? I still have not made my decision but I am pretty sure I’m rooting for Morpheus (the stranger-also very strange, clearly I’m not myself today). Now that we’ve wandered off topic, let’s get back to the story. The plot of this book is full of mystery, deceit and inner-strength-the perfect mix for a great book. I loved the ending of this book, it was a happy ending with a bit of a twist, you could say. The only thing that is keeping me from giving this book a full 5 stars is the main character, Alyssa. I found her to be a little naïve and a little selfish. Alyssa often struggles between choosing a love interest that she doesn’t even notice all the tricks that she’s fallen for (read the book to know more). Overall, this book was amazing. It is definitely a must-read for people looking for a twist to Alice in Wonderland. I am anxiously waiting for the sequel to Splintered, and I hope that you give this book the attention it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!