July 9, 2013

The Midnight Twins by Jacquelyn Mitchard: Book Review

The Midnight Twins (Midnight Twins, #1)
Rating: 2.5/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): Meredith and Mallory Brynn, are mirror twins born on either side of midnight one New Year's Eve. They have always been inseparable. But after they are nearly killed in a mysterious fire on their thirteenth birthday, the bond that has always joined them unravels. They begin to have visions and dreams that reveal the deep secrets kept by the people around them.

 Meredith and Mallory realize they have each been given a gift: Mallory can see deep into the past, Meredith can see the future. But when they discover that one boy is not what they imagined, their lives will be changed forever. If they can survive….
Review: I really wanted to read this book (being a twin and all) but I was not pleased at all. This book somewhat offended me, to say the least. This book mentions twin telepathy and other unbelievable things that are more suited for things such as children's books. Although the author did express that the twin telepathy in this book was exaggerated, it was still to biased. The book mentions how twins often think of themselves as being one person. I know plenty of twins (myself included) who would shudder at the thought of being one and the same as their twin. Excuse the rant for a moment there, I shall discuss some more of the actual book. First, the characters. Set in the point of view of 13 year old twins, I was expecting some annoying little tweens and that is exactly what happened. One twin (Meredith) only cared about looking nice and attracting boys while her sister (Mallory) cared about soccer and watching soap operas. I considered it very strange how girls who consider themselves to be one person, can be complete opposites. The main characters were average and frankly, annoying. The plot of this book was uneventful. I had to force myself to finish this book. The only redeeming thing about this book is the point of view. I love 3rd person point of view. The only reason I gave this book 2.5 stars is because the writing was well done but the story itself was not interesting. Overall, this book was boring and uneventful. I had to force myself to read this book but the writing was not terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!