July 1, 2013

Virals by Kathy Reichs: Book Review

Virals (Virals, #1)
Rating: 1/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They are Virals.
Review: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS
I did not want to read this book but for some reason I was compelled to pick this book from the library. My first intuition was correct. This book was terrible. Let’s start off with the characters. The main character (Tory Brennan) is a very boring person. She apparently has some redeeming qualities such as her appearance and will to learn but other than that I found her to be quite an airhead. Tory was a very weak heroine. At one point, Tory found herself breaking into a very high security manor. She walked into this place with a backpack containing every single piece of evidence she had to convict a rich snob of murder. When she gets caught in the house by the snob’s son, instead of turning into a “viral” (a mutated version of herself that has super strength and heightened senses), she just hands over the backpack to him. I’m sorry but really?? She couldn’t at least try to fight him? That really pissed me off. Also, when Tory found out about the snob’s crimes, she convinced herself that the son (Chance is his name) had no part in it just because she had “feelings” for him. The main character was not a strong heroine at all and I hated her so much. I don’t think I’ve ever hated another character as much as this. Another complaint I have is the sub-plots. Kathy Reichs clearly tried to add too many elements to the book. From cliché gossip and mean girls to murder, the book had too many elements. Which were widely discussed even though the main element of the story is about how 4 teenagers became mutated into animal-like creatures. The summary mentions this but the teenagers only figure out what happened to them during the second half of the book. The summary of the book basically ruins the first half of the book. Furthermore, every single plot twist or plot point was so obvious. Nothing came as a shock to me and it was all very predictable. While reading this book, I found a spelling error. I’m not joking, it was that bad. I am so ashamed of writing such a horrible review but I really have no choice. The only redeeming part about this book was one of the characters named Hiram (or Hi for short). He was funny and actually seemed real, everything else sucked. Overall, I really hated this book and I am sad that I wasted my time reading this book. If you are bad at guessing plots and like a lot of things happening in a book, I guess this book is for you. Sadly, this book was not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!