July 29, 2013

White Cat by Holly Black: Book Review

White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publication Date: May 4th 2010
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Library (what can I say? I love my library)
Cassel comes from a family of Curse Workers - people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all criminals. Many become mobsters and con artists. But not Cassel. He hasn't got magic, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail - he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Cassel has carefully built up a facade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his facade starts to crumble when he finds himself sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he must unravel his past and his memories. To find out the truth, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen. (via goodreads)

I wanted to read White Cat ever since I've heard about it (about 5 months ago). I finally managed to snag a copy of it at my library and I was very excited to read it. I was expecting an amazing book but I was slightly disappointed. Not to say that this book wasn't amazing-it just wasn't as amazing as I hoped it would be. I found the setting of this book to be very interesting. The book takes place in a world in which some people have the ability to tamper with luck, emotions,death,memory,transformation and the body. Since curse working is illegal, the criminal empire is built around these types of people. Cassel (the main character) lives in a world where it's scandalous to walk around without gloves and that a single touch can change you. Interesting,right? The plot of this story was well written but a little typical. The summary basically explains the plot very well so I won't go into the details. The only thing that irked me was that some parts of the book were odd. For example, when Cassel gets woken up by his brothers in the middle of the night-brothers who he rarely sees- he doesn't even question what they're doing in his room in the first place. I mean, if a family member who I haven't seen in a while and doesn't live with me wakes me up in the middle of the night, I'd be pretty freaked out but for some reason, Cassel wasn't. I'm not sure if it's a plot hole or just a familiarity between Cassel's family but it doesn't make sense to me either way. I also found the romance in this book to be very bland and confusing. I wasn't expecting romance (no one really does in these types of books) but there it was. The romance is basically Cassel fighting with himself about making out with either his ex-girlfriend or another girl that can't be revealed without giving away spoilers. The romance was just very boring and confusing. Another thing I didn't like was the ending. I felt like the ending was well written but it was so abrupt and it doesn't compel me to read the sequel. Overall, the setting of White Cat is very interesting and the plot of the book is well-written but it is confusing at times. The ending of White Cat does not compel me to read the sequel but I will anyway just out of sheer curiosity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!