August 27, 2013

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King: Book Review

Please Ignore Vera DietzGenre: YA Contemporary
Release Date: January 1st 2010
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Bought

Vera’s spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she’s kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to?

Edgy and gripping, Please Ignore Vera Dietz is an unforgettable novel: smart, funny, dramatic, and always surprising.

My Thoughts: Lately, I’ve been on what I can only describe as a contemporary craving. The only books I feel like reading are contemporary. This will pass in about a week based on a similar situation that occurred between me and post-apocalypse books. I really enjoyed reading this book and I am happy to say that it is one of my new favourites.

This book focuses on Vera Dietz, an 18-year old high school senior. Readers are taken through several point of views that include Vera herself, and how she copes to get over Charlie’s death, Vera’s father, Charlie from beyond the grave and the pagoda, an important setting in the novel. I enjoyed reading this book through all the different point of views. Throughout the book, readers are told that Charlie’s death was mysterious and that Vera knows something about it. Readers are taken through a series of flashbacks that at the end of the book, it’s finally reveal how Charlie died. It was interesting learning about Charlie and Vera as characters through all the flashbacks.

I really enjoyed the characters. I really connected to Vera’s story and although Charlie did seem like a bad character, his P.O.V from beyond the grave really helped. Vera was just a normal high school teenager struggling to get over a friend’s death and Charlie was a teenager struggling to deal with his family issues (before he died of course). As with most contemporary novels, this book was not a happy one but it was interesting. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I think that this book was interesting with believable characters. Please Ignore Vera Dietz is definitely one of my new favourites.

Favourite Quotes: I bookmarked two pages that I really enjoyed so here are my favourite quotes

“A BRIEF WORD FROM THE PAGODA
Do you have any idea how old watching idiot kids drink and do drugs up here on the rocks is getting? The funniest part is they all think they’re more cool than their parents were, and their parents did the same crap. Also- tossing beer cans? That’s a $300 fine. You’re lucky I’m an inanimate object.” (page 206)

“I didn’t sleep much. I lay awake thinking about Dad and what it must be like to be a cold, heartless Vulcan.” (page 168)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!