October 7, 2013

Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas: Book Review

Dangerous GirlsGenre: YA Mystery
Publication Date: July 16th 2013
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Finished copy provided by the publisher (thanks Simon & Schuster Canada!)
Paradise quickly gets gruesome in this thrilling page-turner with a plot that’s ripped from the headlines and a twist that defies the imagination.
It’s Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off to a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives.

But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations. As Anna sets out to find her friend’s killer, she discovers harsh revelations about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love.

Awaiting the judge’s decree, it becomes clear to Anna that everyone around her thinks she is not only guilty, but also dangerous. And when the whole story comes out, reality is more shocking than anyone ever imagined... (via goodreads)
My Thoughts:  I rarely read mystery so I am susceptible to missing some clues & being totally shocked at everything but that didn’t happen in this book. I understood every subtle hint, every look, just everything the author wanted me to understand, I did. I heard many great things about this book and I’m glad to be added to the roster of people who enjoyed this book. Like I mentioned, I rarely read mystery/suspense novels but the premise seemed interesting & I ended up really enjoying this one.

Unlike in most YA books I read, I did feel compelled to hate the main character or even want to punch her in the face (though the ending did feel like a punch in the face..) I actually liked reading this through Anna’s perspective, she was interesting character and she was full of depth. It was also interesting to have the romance built-in. We meet Tate, Anna’s boyfriend, very early on in the story and I liked him instantly. The characters made me feel iffy towards them sometimes (they do participate in substance abuse sometimes) but I like how readers get a chance to see what made them that way, otherwise I would have probably hated the main characters.

I sometimes have to force myself to sit through a book but that didn’t happen with this one. The story flowed and I was sucked in. I finished this book in 2 sittings so it was really great. I loved the writing style & so forth. This book mentions Florence + the Machine quite a bit (and she’s one of my favourite artists) and this book reminded me of one of her songs: Are You Hurting the One You Love? (the question mark is part of the song) I am still not sure how to insert videos using Windows Live Writer but here is the link to the video. I should mention that the near the ending (like end of the trial) was kind of predictable but I really liked it. The very last chapter though, OMFG, I did not see that coming. I was in shock, that ending was amazing and so shocking. If you are a fan of mystery or suspense novels (or even if you aren’t) check this one out!

Have you read Dangerous Girls? If so, do you also think that Florence + the Machine’s “Are You Hurting the One You Love?” match the book? If not, does it seem right for you? Let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. This book blew my mind! I loved it! Seriously, I didn't really like any of the characters and thought it was gritty and dirty! It just all worked! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually the first review I've read for this book, so this is my first exposure to what it's about. I love mysteries, but I often find them lacking - sounds like that wouldn't be the case here though! Also, Florence + the Machine=love so any book that mentions her a lot has got to be good, right? Heh, well I'm intrigued now so thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you liked this book! I almost missed the big reveal! I had to go back and reread it before I totally freaked out. And yay for Florence and the Machine. I love it when books reference her. Her music is great and very appropriately, this book was great too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!