October 23, 2013

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce: Book Review

Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1)Genre: YA Fantasy, Romance
Publication Date: June 7th 2010
Rating: 3/5 stars
Series: Retellings #1
Source: Bought
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for? (via goodreads)
My Thoughts: For a fairtytale retelling, Sisters Red hit all the right notes. We’ve got a modern twist on the classic, Little Red Riding Hood, but the girls in these books aren’t so little. And did I mention that the wolf is more like a the pack leader of a gang of Werewolves? Pretty interesting if you ask me.

Sister Red starts off with a scene from Rosie and Scarlett’s childhood. A strange man appears at their door and basically, their lives change drastically. Several years later, the girls are still hunting the werewolves they call Fenris. Basically, Fenris’s change at the slightest though of turning into a wolf and then they die, they disintegrate. And a Fenris has no soul, that’s important to know too. Anyway, these Fenris prey on unsuspecting women and sister, Scarlett and Rosie hunt for them.

Except Rosie is falling for Scarlett’s best friend and hunting partner. And Rosie’s wondering if that means abandoning everything her and her sister strive for.

Personally, I really enjoyed this book but I didn’t love it. These reviews are the hardest to write because I never know how to explain my feelings. I found this book to be really interesting. The twist on the werewolf concept was very unique and I liked the overall themes that relate to family and sacrifice. The romance in this book was definitely swoon-worthy and cute but I felt it wasn’t that prominent but it is still quite a constant thing. I loved reading through Rosie’s point of view but Scarlett’s point of view annoyed me sometimes but it was still manageable enough to read.

Overall, I feel like this is a nice read if you’re looking for a nice twist on an old tale but past that, you are not missing out by not reading this book. Sure, readers learn about family and sacrifice but I think this is more for fairytale lovers and someone looking for a swoon-worthy romance. 

tumblr_mlki0pmsHD1r0pci8o1_500
This gif basically sums up my feelings
Have you read Sisters Red or are you planning to sometime in the future? Let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I never made it to the romance. :-( I got about a third of the way through and got distracted... This was a year ago. Sorry it wasn't quite your thing either, I hope your next read works out better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those illustrated covers -- LOVE! I have to admit that this one never really caught my attention for some reason. And while I'm happy that you enjoyed this overall, I don't think I'll be reading it as I don't want to spend my hard-earned money on a book I'm not sure I'll love! (I'm just picky and stingy like that, okay?!) But there's no denying that I'm very curious by the premise. I haven't read any retellings on RED RIDING HOOD, so this one is bound to be interesting. :)

    The fact that the Red Riding Hood in this story has a sister is already intriguing. Add that with the unique and original werewolf concept that you mentioned, and I'm starting to question my decision in the previous paragraph. It's also surprising that there were such strong themes about family. I never would've expected that for such a dark story.

    " The romance in this book was definitely swoon-worthy and cute but I felt it wasn’t that prominent" -- I'm actually quite relieved to hear this, as it means that the romance doesn't dominate the plot. I hate it when that happens! But it's also good that it remains quite constant and doesn't go all over the place, which is annoying as well.

    Haha, okay, I definitely don't fit the recommended bill, then. I'm not being on retellings, but mostly because I haven't come across many (but I AM reading CINDER now, so we'll see!), and I'm not looking for swoony romance, though it's a nice bonus. I think I'll give SISTERS RED a pass for now, even though it sounds really good. I trust your judgement, Shelly! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first book in this "series" have the best covers! I love this. This book was fun, but I enjoyed Sweetly more! I loved the twist on the original tale (there aren't many Red Riding Hood retelling after all), but Scarlett was sometimes a bit difficult. Rosie was sweet though :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!