October 13, 2013

The House of Hades by Rick Riordan: Book Review

The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)Genre: YA Fantasy
Publication Date: October 8th 2013
Series: Heroes of Olympus #4
Rating: 5/5 stars
Source: Bought (and fangirled over!)
*note: the following summary contains spoilers for other books in the series, I recommend you skip over the summary if you have not read the other books in this series.
At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape?

They have no choice. If the demigods don’t succeed, Gaea’s armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus.
My Thoughts: I have literally waited over a year for this book so BE PREPARED FOR THE FULL WRATH OF MY FANGIRLING!
tumblr_mato8vN4FB1r8f661o1_500
If possible, Rick Riordan books keep getting better and better. In this book, there is no lack of action. This book literally starts off in a battle scene which I found super awesome. Let’s not forget, all the demigods have awesome powers. I know I should do a mini recap of the book so here’s what happened (especially for people who have not read the rest of the series)- this is spoiler-free by the way:The 7 demigods (who are all awesome and I can’t list them all) must travel in the Argo II in a race against time and death in order to stop Gaea, the mighty Earth titan. Very interesing, right?

im sorry i couldnt help it i needed to draw him ahhhh
source
Let’s start with the characters. In lieu of Nico di Angelo’s awesomeness, I added a fan-art picture of him (you can find the source in the caption). If you were iffy about Nico, get ready to experience all the feels from him. We really learn more about him and I ended up feeling a little bad for him. I just wanted to wrap him in a giant hug! Percy was also super awesome in this book. He really pulls through especially for Annabeth and I just love him. And let’s not forget Annabeth! I always loved Percabeth (Percy + Annabeth) but Annabeth never really clicked for me. I always found her a little pretentious and snotty but in this book, she was just simply amazing. Example:
“But she wasn’t alone. She had Percy. And that meant she couldn’t give up.”
*Just total respect for Annabeth at this point* But now, let’s not forget the new characters of the series! We also have Jason, famous son of Jupiter (a.k.a Zeus) and to be honest, I always thought Jason was “too” heroic. But as usual, Rick Riordan pulls off some of his magic and we actually see a less heroic and more relatable side to Jason. Piper is practically non-existent in this book so I’m not too worried about her. At least she finally learns to fight with a sword! And let’s not forget Frank. Ah Frank, how I adore you so! *Canadians represent!* Frank’s character really evolves in this book which did not leave me disappointed. And he becomes even more awesome (if that is even possible). And we can’t forget Leo. I love Leo’s sense of humour and reading through his point of view was just amazing, let’s just say that Leo is one amazing guy. And last but not least is Hazel. Hazel really grows in this book. She was always a prominent character but in this book she also really shines. Let’s just say that the daughter of Pluto does not get a lucky break and that she grows even more deadly. (Pluto is god of the Underworld hehehe). With so many characters, I am so glad to say that I did not hate one of them! That deserves a round of applause Rick Riordan!

Last but DEFINITELY not least, the romance! The romance was just so adorable. I was swooning left and right, up and down. There were squeals, nervous giggles and hardcore ships going on in my life reading this book. That’s all I can say without bursting into giggles and swooning again. Besides, how do you even describe such an awesome romance?

Overall, this book is just amazing. The wait for 2015 will be long but most likely worth it! Now if you will excuse me, I will be going through some Percabeth withdrawals. tumblr_mbb8k5wvyi1rq0hnm

3 comments:

  1. BWAHAHA I love this review! ALL THE FEELS AND HUMOUR WAS JUST OVERWHELMING. I had to stop reading ever 10 mins because I was in complete shock that I had it in my hands >.<

    Fantabulous review, Shelly! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when a book starts off with action right away! I haven't read any of these yet but I'm so glad you weren't disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU. For listening to my demands and posting this review as soon as you possibly could. :D One bad thing was that I thought I'd managed to get my feelings of not being able to read this anytime soon in check, but now you've gone and opened up the wound with this!

    It's so good to hear that some of the older demigods are back -- it's always such a surprise when an author turns out NOT to have forgotten their older characters, because it's so easy to get lost in the new world they've created. And yep, I definitely was one of the ones who was iffy about Nico, but all this talk about him is making my stomach flutter in anticipation!

    One word: PERACBETH. <3

    I've always liked Annabeth, so maybe I'll love her even more when I read this one. "I always thought Jason was “too” heroic. But as usual, Rick Riordan pulls off some of his magic and we actually see a less heroic and more relatable side to Jason." -- Phew! I have to admit that I'm not a fan of Jason and Piper. I just don't find them very endearing. Not as much as Percy and Annabeth, at least.

    And the romance. I'm really looking forward to that aspect, because now I know for sure that I won't be disappointed! *sigh* Friend, please get that book ASAP. The wait is going to kill me! Awesome review, love!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!