October 14, 2013

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales: Book Review

This Song Will Save Your LifeGenre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: September 17th 2013
Rating: 5/5 stars
Source: Bought
Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together. (via goodreads)
My Thoughts: If you’ve read book reviews for This Song Will Save Your Life then you know that a lot of book bloggers really enjoyed this book. And I did too. I enjoyed this book so much I don’t think words can describe my amazement and love for this book. I should start off by saying that contrary to what the synopsis may say, this book is not a contemporary read that goes “aw”. This is a contemporary read that makes you think. And isn’t that what all books should strive for?

I loved the main character, Elise. I usually don’t like main characters and I really loved this one. Elise is going through a tough time in her life (well her whole life was tough). She is being bullied/tormented by her classmates and she doesn’t feel like she belongs. Even though I was never bullied in school (I can make friends easily, I think), I understood what she was going through. Elise does not only struggle through her unpopularness, she also struggles to find something she loves and is passionate about. I can relate to that. For me, book blogging is as thrilling and satisfying as DJing is to Elise. Not only was Elise a very relatable character, she seemed very real and believable. She did not seem like a book character to me, she seemed like someone who would actually exist.

If you are looking for romance in this book (or predicting it), you will be a little surprised. The “romance” in this book is actually believable. It’s messy,complicated and very real. The romance is not like “girl sees cute guy, cute guy sees girl, romance occurs.” The romance in this book is raw and complicated, a real romance.

I can not express my love for this book in words. I gave you the gist and my thoughts on the characters but you must read this book to see for yourself. This book presents a wonderful message and an amazing story on discovering yourself and your passions in life. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish you could see me right now, because I'm fist-pumping my approval! SOOOOO happy that you liked this! I agree with pretty much your whole review. Elise was wonderful -- I could relate to her a lot, too, because I don't make friends easily, and I tend to blend in with the crowd, so I'm not noticed at all, but that doesn't mean that I belong, see? "For me, book blogging is as thrilling and satisfying as DJing is to Elise." Ah, I never thought of it this way, but I realize you're right! Book blogging is my one safe haven, a place I can go to whenever I feel upset. So yay -- more ways to connect with Elise!

    And yep, even though I didn't originally understand the romance (I had to write my review then get a couple of people to explain it to me), I totally agree. It's one of the realest romances I've seen in YA fiction, because really -- nothing in our teen years is HEA. Char was a jerk toward the end, so I'm glad that Elise broke off the relationship before something serious happened.

    So, yeah! I probably shouldn't add more CAPs into my comments, because I'm sure they're scaring people quite a bit ._. It's just me on late nights: I'm a bit crazy. :D Lovely review, Shelly, and once again, I'm super glad you enjoyed THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one, but I haven't gotten around to reading it! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it so fully! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!