November 5, 2013

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi: Book Review

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)Genre: YA Dystopia
Publication Date: November 15th 2011
Series: Shatter Me #1
Rating: 5/5 stars
Source: Bought
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. (via goodreads)
My Thoughts: I put off reading this book for a while. I’ve heard amazing things of this series and I seriously regret not picking it up sooner. I think the main reason I’ve put it off is because I was probably paranoid of being disappointed but that definitely wasn’t the case.

The plot and world-building in Shatter Me was phenomenal. Basically, human society is a mess (there’s probably no other way to put it). The Reestablishment claims that they are the only way for humans to survive, they’re superior and “they’re just trying to help us.” As the reader, we already know it’s a load of bull from chapter one so let’s leave it as that. I found the whole concept very interesting. There’s also the whole issue of global warming and how humans used up all their resources but that would take too long to go into depth.

The characters in this book are amazing. For once, we have a decent but sort-of weak main character. She doesn’t start off badass and awesome. She starts of being a little weak and unsure of herself and she slowly develops into the kickass heroine we all want to love. Adam is basically the best person ever. Seriously, I have like infinite praise for him and I was like swooning left and right so no need to continue with that. Warner is definitely a character I hate. I do not understand why people are “Team Warner” or why it even exists but that’s all I have to say.

Overall, Shatter Me was just amazing. It was action-packed, full of cute romance and it had a very unique setting. I also really liked the writing style. The book is in Juliette’s point of view and she sometimes “crosses out” things that she doesn’t want to be true or doesn’t want to think even though they are still in her mind, it is very unique and interesting. I definitely recommend it for people who were just as hesitant as me to pick it up!

Have you read Shatter Me yet? If so, will I enjoy the sequel? If you haven’t read it yet, why not? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I love female characters that start out a little weak & insecure, but develop into a kick-ass person :D The plot & world-building sound interesting! I've also heard that this book is written in an unique writing-style and I can't wait to see that myself :) Great review Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been putting off reading this one for the same reason as you - scared of the hype! But I love the unique writing style already. And I'm very curious about this Team Warner phenomenon that started after Unravel Me came out and I guess he was shown as sympathetic? I don't know. I guess I'll have to read it to find out! Nicely reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the Adam-love (and the Warner dislike). You're a girl after my own heart!

    - Allie @ Little Birdie Books

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!