December 10, 2013

Man Made Boy by Jon Skorvon: Book Review

Man Made BoyGenre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: October 3rd 2013
Series; Stand-alone
Rating: 3/5 stars
Source: Bought

Love can be a real monster.

Sixteen-year-old Boy’s never left home. When you’re the son of Frankenstein’s monster and the Bride, it’s tough to go out in public, unless you want to draw the attention of a torch-wielding mob. And since Boy and his family live in a secret enclave of monsters hidden under Times Square, it’s important they maintain a low profile.

Boy’s only interactions with the world are through the Internet, where he’s a hacker extraordinaire who can hide his hulking body and stitched-together face behind a layer of code. When conflict erupts at home, Boy runs away and embarks on a cross-country road trip with the granddaughters of Jekyll and Hyde, who introduce him to malls and diners, love and heartbreak. But no matter how far Boy runs, he can’t escape his demons—both literal and figurative—until he faces his family once more.

This hilarious, romantic, and wildly imaginative tale redefines what it means to be a monster—and a man.

My Thoughts: I’ve been waiting a while to read this book and I finally got around to it! I actually finished reading Frankenstein a while ago so when I saw that this was in the point of view of The Creature’s son, I was very excited! I didn’t really enjoy Frankenstein all that much but I love the concept behind The Creature having a son and such.

This book was pretty interesting. I really liked the concept of a bunch of Creatures surrounded in myth living in a broadway theatre where they perform interesting shows. It was really cool to see all the different interpretations of these “monsters” and to see how they interacted with one another!

Boy, the main character, annoyed me. Usually I like reading through the eyes of a male protagonist and I did like him but sometimes his actions annoyed me. He was a little selfish and immature but to be fair, he is seventeen (The synopsis says he’s sixteen which is not true, in page 10 Boy says “I’m seventeen!”). However, I did find all the hacking and general technology expert stuff about him fascinating. I know The Internet is a common source of distraction and I can totally understand how he used the internet like that. It was interesting to see the mix of something ancient (magic) and new (technology).

Despite the things I liked, I felt that the plot was a little slow and way too long. But because this is a stand-alone, I can totally understand why the book turned out like that so I can overlook it. Another thing I did not like was the romance, it seemed a little out of place and it annoyed me. There is one main love interest in the first half of the book but that quickly changes later and it annoyed me a little. I understand that all romance does not work in a smooth arc (like in most novels) so I can overlook that detail again.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and found it interesting. The things that annoyed me (like the romance, slow pacing and long plot) can be easily overlooked after realising how they fit well into the story. I recommend this one to fantasy lovers who are looking for a unique story!

Did you read Man Mad Boy? Did you enjoy it? If not, is this one going to be added to you TBR pile?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!