December 27, 2013

Pivot Point by Kasie West: Book Review

Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: February 12th 2013
Series: Pivot Point #1 (so glad that it’s not a stand-alone!)
Source: Bought

Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

My Thoughts: After reading another Parallel worlds book this year (and not enjoying it) I was a little wary going into Pivot Point. I was worried that I wouldn’t understand the book and that everything would make no sense. Oh how wrong I was! Pivot Point  is just an amazing and awesome novel and it has an honorary place on my favourites shelf!

The plot of Pivot Point was very unique! Addison lives in a gated community full of people who have ‘abilities’. We would call these abilities superpowers or something of that nature. Addison’s ability is special. Before she makes a decision, she can ‘search’ and experience two sets of outcomes based on the decision she is about to make. Pivot Point starts out with some background knowledge on this world and then Addison must undergo A Search (her ability) to decide the outcome of her future. We basically get to read about Addison living two different lives! And my oh my, these lives are interesting and so different! It was awesome seeing Addison in each life knowing what’s happening in the other outcome and sometimes seeing the lives overlap!

Not only was the plot/setting amazing, the characters were just great! I really liked Addison and I wasn’t annoyed of her, for once! Also, I loved seeing that Addison’s best friend plays a huge role in this book! Friends are so underappreciated in YA novels, they really are. In addition to awesome friends & a great heroine, the romance was just great! For once, I didn’t really mind a love triangle (if it can even be called that because there is a clear winner in my opinion). Both guys were different in their own way and I don’t want to spoil it too much but there is swooning!

Overall, Pivot Point was just amazing! And that ending was fantastic, I can’t wait for the sequel! I definitely recommend this for someone looking for a sci-fi/paranormal action packed book with some cute romance!

five stars Have you read Pivot Point? What did you think about it? If not, did my review convince you to add it to your TBR pile? Let me know (and sorry for the fangirly review haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!