December 17, 2013

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger - Book Review

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat FriendGenre: YA Contemporary
Release Date: September 7th 2010
Series: Stand-alone
Rating: 3/5 stars
Source: Bought

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone. (via goodreads)

My Thoughts: I actually enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would! This book takes a unique look on the teenage experience. I haven’t read a lot of books (if any) where the main character uses sex to escape their realities. I think it’s something that hasn’t been addressed in YA books and I know it’s more common than we think. The Duff also tackles a lot of self-esteem issues that I think are really important.

The characters in this novel were easy to connect to and very well-written. Bianca was sometimes annoying (what teenager isn’t?) but I felt that her actions made sense even though I personally would never act the same way. I also really enjoyed the love interest (if we can call him that), Wesley. Although he wasn’t the nicest guy, in the long run he seemed more realistic than some too-perfect love interests I often come across. I like that Wesley had his flaws and tried his best to overcome that, it was nice to read about a love interest that isn’t too perfect.

I think the plot was also really interesting and wasn’t lacking at all. Usually, I feel that contemporary novels have a stale plot but make up for it with in-depth characters and a cute romance. I really liked that this book had a unique plot-line that was about the romance but I didn’t feel that all the supporting details were just there to throw us off the scent.

The reason I didn’t give this one 5 stars is because although I enjoyed the novel and its message, there is nothing that really makes me believe that this book was amazing. I enjoyed it and everything it had, but it won’t really have a lasting impression in my mind.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this book and I think it was a nice read. The overall theme and message of the books is an important one and I definitely recommend that you check this one out if you are a fan of a realistic enjoyable contemporary novel! 

Have you read The Duff? What did you think? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!