February 25, 2014

[Discussion Post] Spoiler-induced Rage

discussion

*warning: this post was written in a fiery rage (see gifs below) but the message still applies. Spoilers aren’t fun and they aren’t something I like.

I hate spoilers. I’m not saying they are bad, I just don’t care for them too much. I can tolerate them sometimes if there is a series I don’t plan on finishing (I’m looking at you Divergent) and I want to know the ending (that Allegiant ending was just shocking) but for the most part, I tend to avoid them.

Which is why I was VERY ANGRY when I happened to accidentally read a spoiler for the Under the Never Sky Series. I read book one and enjoyed it. I’m planning to read book two soon and I was actually looking forward to it but now, I’m not too sure. I was browsing my Twitter feed (as one does) when I saw a link to a  supposedly awesome fan art for Into the Still Blue (book 3). I clicked said link and the picture was nice. The caption however, was just ALL SPOILERY. I’m not saying what the caption was because it’s a spoiler about what happens in the last part of the book but I was just A BALL OF RAGE.tumblr_inline_mvfvgbNFMG1rrn0i2 Some spoiler tags would have been nice, that’s all. I feel like this person should have changed the caption or maybe written “inspired by Into the Still Blue” versus “here’s what happens in the last part of the book and I am now drawing it.” The other thing that really annoys me is the fact that the people who shared the link should have stated: “contains some spoilers” or something of the sort because I opened the image completely unaware. But that leads me to another point; what is a spoiler? To me, if it is the OUTCOME of a series (which it was in this case), THAT IS A DAMN SPOILER.
*turns into ranty Shelly* SERIOUSLY, NOT EVERYONE HAS READ ALL OF THESE BOOKS, YOU HAVE TO GIVE WARNING BEFORE YOU SAY SOMETHING THAT CAN POTENTIALLY RUIN SOMEONE ELSE’S READING EXPERIENCE. *deep breath*

What I’m trying to get at here is that spoilers aren’t fun and if you plan to use them, please please PLEASE put a warning. I don’t want this mess to happen to anyone else. tumblr_inline_muc7nkkmLW1qcq50q

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!